Flood Advice

S B Electrical Light Bulb 2

Helpful Free Advice From S B Electrical

Flood Advice

If you are unfortunate to find you have been flooded it is understandable that once the water has subsided you will want to get things back to normal as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, depending on the severity of the flood, their could be damage to the property's electrics, so before you do anything here is some simple advice. 



  • Before entering the property make sure it is safe to do so.
  • The water in the property maybe contaminated so try and avoid direct contact with it.
  • It's a good idea to carry a torch when entering the property.
  • If it is safe to do so, switch off the electricity at the fusebox using the main switch.  If water appears to be present inside the fuse box or there is any sign of overheating or arcing then you should seek professional advice. 
  • Move all portable electrical appliances away from the affected flood area and ensure all other appliances are unplugged.
  • Call other services, such as gas, and arrange for them be switched off.  Both electricity and gas supplies should not be switch back on until you have taken professional advice that it is safe to do so.



  • Use candles when entering the property.
  • Try and use any mains powered electric appliances in the flood affected areas until you have been advised it's safe to do so.  
  • Go near or touch any exposed wiring.  It could still be live.
  • Start to clean up or carry out any repairs until you are sure it's safe to do so. 


Cleaning up and making repairs.

It's a good idea to contact your insurance company, or landlord if applicable, for advice and to seek approval for repairs to be carried out. Taking photos of the damage and keeping records is a good idea. 

Professionals will give you advice on how to restore your property and should be used to undertake any repairs needed to the property.  


Electrical safety advice.

Do not connect temporary electrical supplies or attempt any repairs yourself. 

The property should have a full EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) conducted on it.  The EICR will identify areas in need of repair and the overall condition of the wiring in the property.

All electrical appliances both portable and fixed, such as cookers and washing machines, affected by the flood will need to be PAT tested to make sure they are safe for continued use. 

If the damage to the electrics is of a minor nature and caused by clean water such as a burst water pipe or a leak from the water tank then it is most likely it will just need cables drying out and possible replacement of sockets switches plugs etc. affected by the water.  Never attempt this yourself.

If there is major flood damage caused by contaminated water, then it is most likely that the electrical installation will need to be rewired.

If rewiring is required, you should enquire whether it is possible to raise the height of the fuse box and sockets to a level that it is above any future expected floods.